Vastu Shastra offers invaluable tips on the construction of a Structure on a Hill. Buildings on hills are generally not considered very auspicious but if one has to construct in these areas then while building a structure on a hill, special attention should be paid to the following points:-
- A building should preferably be built as a house or a commercial complex on a hill, which is in the West or the South direction of the city.
- Structures should be avoided to be built on a hill, which is in the North-East, the North or the East direction of the city. If it is built here, progress may slow down and one might have to face many difficulties.
- Structure when built on a hill it should be with slope on the East or the North side and roads having similar approach be chosen. The slope of the hill should not be in the South or the West directions.
- A hill with a river, canal, sea, running water, pond or lake in the East or the North directions will prove very auspicious. If these things are to the West or the South of the hill, it is considered inauspicious.
- There is no harm in building a house on a hill with slopes in all the four directions. However, the approach roads should be in either the East or the North.
- It is necessary to make the level of the plot plain if it is situated on a hill. If this plot has a slope in the East, the North or the North-East directions, it will be better. However, the slope of the hill on which the plot is situated should never be only in the West or the South. If it is so, it should be made level.
- While building a structure on a hill, a compound wall according to Vastu Shastra, should be constructed on all the four sides of the plot.
- The compound walls in the East and the North directions should be shorter and preferably made up of bricks. The walls on the West and the South sides should be broad, made of heavy stones and tall.
- The underground water bodies should be located in the North-East direction. Big overhead community water tank or personal overhead tank should be in the West direction.
- If a structure is built on a hill, the wall compound gate should be in the North-East, the North or the East direction. As far as possible, the wall compound gate should never be in the South-West or the South. If it is unavoidable, it should be in the North-West direction of the West or the South-East direction of the South.
- The hilly structure should be built in the South or South-West of the West block. On the East and the North directions vacant space should be left; more the vacant space the better.
- The North-East corner of the hilly plot should be left totally vacant. No construction should be done in this corner. Otherwise, it will result in several problems for the residents.
- In the open space around the structure any pits, swimming pool, pond or water tank in the South-East, the South, the West or the South-West direction should be strictly avoided.
- If the hilly plot is not a level, constructions should be done with upward slope towards the South or the West.
- If a slope is to be given to the roof, it should be towards the East or the North. The roof should not have a slope towards the West or the South.
- On a hilly plot, a multilevel construction should only be done when the hill has upward slope towards the South or the West directions.
- The hilly structure should have only one compound gate in the East. The other gate could be in the North direction.
- If religious places, temples, gardens, public water works and others are constructed on a hilly plot they will prove beneficial.
- If construction is done in North-East, the East or the North directions there should not be a taller hill in the vicinity. However, tall hills in the West and the South are quite advantageous.
- Before starting a construction on a hilly plot, all the shrubs and the bushes may be removed. Stones should also be removed and ditches be leveled. If possible, a square or a rectangular compound wall should be constructed around the plot.
- Basements should be avoided within a hilly structure. The layout plan should be made accordingly.